If you’re protesting abortion, the Supreme Court says you can get right in women’s faces and scream at them on their way into the clinic. Because freedom of speech.
But if you try and protest the murder of a black man, you get tear gas fired at you.
Unfriendly reminder that in America it’s reasonable to say an unarmed black kid deserved to be shot six times because he might have robbed a convenience store, but a white kid shouldn’t be kicked off the high school football team just because he violently raped a girl.
BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY
ba ba BOOM
Religious people can’t engineer or solve complex problems?
People think this is a smart thing to say?
He’s not saying “religious people”, not at all. Nye isn’t the anti-religious Richard Dawkins type. He’s specifically talking about young earth creationism, the anti-science idea that the planet and universe are 6000 years old and the line is regarding his recent debate with Ken Ham, head of the incredibly racist Creation Museum.
Here’s the thing, the religious people who built the above structures weren’t anti-science, anti-knowledge, anti-learing, these cultures valued these things. When you’re training your child that evolution is an evil lie, that the planet is 6000 years old, that all the natural formations on earth were formed by some physically impossible massive flood, that the craters on the moon were formed by geysers errupting from earth and hitting it during said flood, that dinosaurs were on the ark, that all of humanity came from one dudes family after that flood around 4k years ago, that the son of Noah who was cursed that his descendents would be servants were the ones who went to Africa (a view which has been used to justify slavery extensively, EVEN TO THIS DAY), that the Loch Ness Monster is actually a dinosaur and proof of God’s creation, that ‘secularism’ has corrputed science and turned it against god, etc. etc. etc. then you are seriously disadvantaging that child when it comes to learning anything in the sciences.
Nye isn’t condemning religion, he’s condemning right wing extremist evangelical young earth creationism, and in a wold where a lack in scientific literacy is currently harming our ecosystem and reducing our species odds of survival, and as someone who was raised in this fucked up mindset (the reason I know so much about what they teach is because I was taught it as a child), I think his point holds absolutely true when taken in context.
Thanks for the context
Holy shit, someone got corrected on tumblr and didn’t throw a fit over it. Four for you ileolai.
You do realize that the chronology of biblical events can only be traced accurately to 6000 years. Anything before 6000 years in the bible, has too many time gaps to properly date the world or even the universe with the bible. Having said that the bible doesn’t say that the world is 6000 years old. It says “this is just as far as we can accurately trace back to”
Okay, fellow white people. We need to talk.
Let me tell you a story: I was an angry punk teenager. Not violent, but I did a shitton of…
People starving when tons of unsold food is thrown away globally because people couldn’t afford to purchase the food, that’s violence.
People dying and going bankrupt to pay for their healthcare, that’s violence.
People being evicted from their homes when there are more houses than there are houseless people, that’s violence.
This is so important.
my white protesters please remember that you’re rarely at the same risk we are when you stand up for what is right
I’m not gonna stop reblogging these reminders
Stay mindful of the time stamps when these Twitter images are passed around in the following dayz.
So I’m on my break and this is apparently the picnic table now
I don’t know about you guys but I am psyched to get an education, woo. This year is a hella important year for me because if I don’t finish this school year with five As then I am a dead man walking, you get me? So this started off as a collection to help me get those fabulous As but I thought, what the hell? I’ll share this perfection with everyone else because sharing is caring. Anyways, down to the nitty gritty
001. CALEDONIA’S DECLASSIFIED SCHOOL SURVIVAL GUIDE
- advice for college
- how to survive in college
- how to survive freshmen year of high school
- college packing list
- alternative to buying expensive textbooks
- dorm room survival
- free online college courses
002. WRITE LIKE A FUCKING ANGEL
- the ultimate guide to writing
- how to write good
- how to write an essay
- how to write a good essay
- the five paragraph essay
- deadly sins checklist
- formatting your paper
- tips on getting started
- seven tips to become a better writer (stephen king)
- four ways to have confidence in your writing
- seven ways to speed up your writing
- five ways to add sparkle to your writing
- how to finish what you started: a five step plan for writers
- thirty-one ways to find inspiration for your writing
- tips for dealing with writer’s block
003. READING ISN’T ONLY FOR NERDS AND FANGIRLS
- how to take care of your books
- how to read shakespeare
- no fear shakespeare (i found this incredibly useful when studying macbeth!)
- one hundred most read books
- how to read difficult books
- how to read faster
- books made into movies
- books made into tv shows
- 350+ free ebooks
004. STUDY MOTHER FUCKER
- studying tips
- studying techniques
- how to pull an all-night and still have a successful exam result
- how to get motivated to study
- tips to help you concentrate
- time management tips
- chrome site blocker
005. LEARNING SHIT
- solve any maths equations: 1, 2.
- when your teacher says not to use wikipedia (an alternative)
- square root calculator, cube root calculator
- for when you can’t do your homework
- chemical equation balancer (what got me through chemistry last year)
- cliffnotes, sparknotes
- college courses
- how to: multiply big numbers
- crash courses (youtube)
- teaches you everything
006. PRESENTING YOUR BEAUTIFUL SCHOOL WORK AY
007. USEFUL WEBSITES BECAUSE THE INTERNET IS A WONDERFUL PLACE /SOMETIMES/
- TED (basically gods gift)
- challenge your brain
- feed the hungry and up your vocabulary game
- free online textbooks
- final grade calculator
- a whole page dedicated to studying and organising
008. MUSIC TO CALM DOWN UR SCHOOL DAY BLUES YO
- a really chill playist
- coffee shop blues
- coffee shop sounds
- calm nature sounds
- concentration/focus playlist
- relaxation is key
- four hours of classical music
- playlists to listen to: xxx, xxx, xxx, xxx, xxx, xxx, xxx, xxx, xxx, xxx, xxx, xxx.
009. ALL THIS STUDYING??? YOU NEED A BREAK, MY FRIEND.
- watch a cute ass dog lick your screen
- one hundred thousand stars
- movies masterpost
- foreign movies
- gay movies
- lesbian movies you should definitely watch
- broadway musicals
- LGBT+ books
- download free books
- read any book
- the best masterpost ever if you’re bored
010. TIPS FOR SCHOOL N STUFF BCUS I WANTED TEN BITS
- try your best. not everyone can get all As, and getting all As does not make you better than everyone else. just do the best you can and be the best person you can be.
- don’t sleep in class! i know it seems so so tempting but slept my way through geography last year and i got a C in my exam instead of the expected A so…
- Don’t tick off your teacher, follow the rules to an extent, get to class on time, respect your classmates and teachers. you know, just be a decent person.
- be positive!!! and not just for the first week or so, keep the positivity going throughout the whole school year. if you don’t believe in yourself then why should anyone else?
- "you can do it, wildcat, i believe in u" — something troy bolton said one time probably definitely